With so many different types of travelers that have varying levels of experience, geographical knowledge, and perhaps even morals, agents are bound to hear some strange questions and requests.
Thankfully, for the sake of our amusement, the American Society of Travel Agents (ASTA) has taken the time to compile the Top 20 Strangest Requests made of ASTA professionals over the past year.
Zane Kerby, ASTA president and CEO, says in a statement, “When planning your trip, travel agents know what consumers often don’t know to ask. But according to this poll of ASTA professionals, agents also sometimes have to save their clients from questions they DO ask. It’s clear from the list of ‘strangest requests’ that some travelers need a little more hand holding than others.”
Without further delay, here are the Top 20 Strangest Requests:
1. Can you please book the honeymoon suite for us and another couple?
2. Can you please plan a honeymoon for me, my bride and my mother?
3. Can you guarantee that no pet has ever been in the hotel room?
4. Can I fish off of the cruise ship?
5. Do they speak English in Britain?
6. Can you book two rooms in different parts of the resort—one for me and my wife, and the other for my girlfriend?
7. Is our relationship like a client/lawyer relationship? (ASTA says it wonders if this is the same client who asked Question 6).
8. Does the crew actually sleep onboard the cruise ship?
9. Don’t tell my fiancé this is where I took my first wife for our honeymoon.
10. I would like to go somewhere where there are NOT a lot of men.
11. I’d like to meet Elvis.
12. I’d like to get married in the Caribbean on an island where the marriage is not legal in the U.S. (ASTA: “Again, we refer you to Question 6”).
13. Will there be shadows on my face at 4 p.m. when the pictures are taken?
14. Will you watch my pet while I’m away?
15. Are there toll roads on the way to Hawaii?
16. How can I get to Europe without going by air or sea?
17. I’d like to visit Scotland and Denmark on the same trip. (Agent tells client he does not have time in his schedule to travel the distance). But they’re only an inch apart on the map!
18. Can you set it up so that the whales jump in the background at the same time I’m proposing to my girlfriend? (The GOGO content team votes this as its favorite — are you a travel agent or Aquaman!?)
19. Can you ask the airline to block the seat next to me so I can stretch out?
20. I don’t want a window seat on the plane because I just had my hair done.