Montego Bay, Jamaica is one of the hottest destinations for American families right now, and it’s short distance from Miami (less than two hours by plane) make it a quick getaway for long weekends or for vacation breaks. Explore the natural wonders, the rich history, and even the supernatural excitement of Jamaica’s fourth biggest city.
What to do in Montego Bay
The tropical shores of Montego Bay create a unique retreat in Jamaica where rainforests, beaches, and cosmopolitan delights mingle for a family-friendly getaway with activities for adults, teens, and children to enjoy. Here is just a sampling of some of Montego Bay’s best attractions.
– Animal Farm & Natural Reserve (not named after the book) is a perfect place to enjoy an afternoon with exotic animals, beautiful gardens, rainforest nature trails, a butterfly garden tour, and a petting zoo. Most visitors enjoy hand-feeling birds in the walk-in aviary, but kids can also enjoy a ride on Boxer, the farm’s donkey! (Okay, maybe the farm was named after the book, but the horse was Boxer.)
– Chukka Caribbean Adventures include an ATV safari, a horseback ride and swim (watch Paradise Found below for details!), a jungle river tubing exploration, a zipline through the rainforest, and the “Flight of the White Witch,” a special zipline tour where you learn about the infamous mistress of Rose Hall and fly 1,200 feet above sea level.
– A former plantation with more than 2,000 slaves, Rose Hall Great House tells tales of hardship, romance, and even witchcraft. It is now a museum with tours, including a night ghost walk, great for teens and adults. Also, Rose Hall holds private events and functions, like weddings.
– Martha Brae River Rafting is the island’s number one rafting attraction. On a hand-made raft, meander down the serene Martha Brae River as your guide tells you the Legend of Martha Brae, who is believed to have changed the course of the river. If you so choose, you can guide the raft or go for an exhilarating swim. The attraction is quite popular and has welcomed Spike Lee, Chuck Norris, Kenny Rodgers, the Queen of England, and more.
– Golf is one of the awesome activities for parents to enjoy in Montego Bay with four exceptional courses, including the White Witch Golf Course, 18-hole championship golf course by Robert Von Hagge and Rick Baril at Rose Hall with five tee boxes per hole and dramatic Caribbean vistas; and the Half Moon Bay Golf, a member of Jack Nicklaus’ “Great Golf Resorts of the World” and the host of the Jamaica Open Golf Championship, the Dunhill Cup Final of the Americas, and the Red Strip Pro-Am.
Where to stay in Montego Bay
Less than 10 minutes from the Montego Bay International Airport and less than 10 miles from the city of Montego Bay, Holiday Inn Resort SunSpree Montego Bay is the resort for families with the KidSpree Activity Center, a Teen Scene, on-property mini-golf, and a large main swimming pool. For the adults who want a little time for themselves, there’s also an adults-only for some relaxation. The half-mile silky beach includes a private island where guests can enjoy lounges and ultimate tranquility.
The full-service resort offers an all-inclusive program with a buffet breakfast, cocktail hour, lunch and dinner snacks included. Guests can choose from one main buffet and four a la carte restaurant with a choice of Caribbean, Seafood, Japanese, or Italian dishes. (Kenko Japanese Restaurant has a $20/per person surcharge.) Kids and adults alike will enjoy the Pizza Bar with daily pizza specialties, and kids will enjoy the Kid’s Buffet Corner with choices just for them.
Guests can choose from three different levels of accommodations, including guest rooms, executive club level, and suites. For families that like a little extra room, the suites provide a one-bedroom abode, able to accommodate up to five persons. All are oceanfront and include a private whirlpool, great for parents to enjoy when the kids are at the KidSpree Activity Center.
Ready to book your family getaway to Jamaica? Contact your local travel agent and request a GOGO Vacations’ package now!