Cancun’s bustling, vibrant peninsula in the shape of the number 7 is known today as one of – if not the – most prominent vacation destinations in the entire world. Easy to take this for granted, the Hotel Zone is a majestic area of stunning land and sea, though it wasn’t always teeming with all-inclusive resorts. Luckily, now it is. And we have five favorites.
A Brief History of Paradise on Earth
At this point, it’s as if Cancun always existed as we know it today. But those ancient sites didn’t get there by accident. Originally inhabited by Mayan civilizations in what was then called Nizuc – up until about the 15th century – what’s now known as the Hotel Zone was essentially a deserted peninsula all the way through the 1960s. By that time, in the final period before the big boom, it was home to only about 1,000 residents comprising of fishermen and their families. Today, the population is in excess of 500,000 and the resorts on the 17-mile strip of sand amount to over 32,000 hotel rooms.
The big boom happened in 1969 when the development of the land was officially approved, setting off what would become a massive transformation all to the benefit of, well, everyone – the tourist and tourism industry. Things didn’t look as bright at first – hindsight always looks 20/20 – even in a land shimmering in the tropical sun. Interest was, in fact, extremely low, to the point where investors were simply not taking their chances, causing the Mexican government to actually finance the first hotels themselves. Kudos to them!
Construction began in 1970, and the first hotel to reach completion was what is now Temptations Resort, where you can still stay and have an incredible (adults-only) time. Don’t worry – it’s been refurbished often since inception. In 1974, that hotel was called the Playa Blanca, and it was the beginning of something incredible.
Alas – 5 of Our Favorites in the Hotel Zone Today
Hard Rock Cancun
Live the rock star life in all-inclusive paradise. There is nothing old school about this resort smack in the middle of the Hotel Zone. Here’s what this fun-fueled resort has to offer:
- Legendary live entertainment
- Unlimited golf at world-class Jack Nicklaus designed course
- Music lab – where you get to play in a band, learn how to mix like a DJ, be the star of your own music video, or play a classic tune in the studio
- Kids club, kids pool with slides
- 9 world class restaurants, 7 bars & lounges
- Rock Spa®
- The Body Rock® fitness center (with that name it’s obviously no ordinary fitness center)
- Posh® Beauty Salon
Recommended: Beyond A-List Status at Hard Rock
Le Blanc Spa Resort
Le Blanc will make you le relaxed! Also in the heart of the Hotel Zone, this one is a clear favorite. Here’s what this adults-only all-inclusive is all about:
- Personal Butler – yep, a concierge to take care of you throughout your entire stay
- 24-hour room service
- Delicious snack-sized bites throughout lounges and snack bars
- Top-shelf drinks
- 4 restaurants, 3 bars
- Stunning accommodations
Dreams Playa Mujeres Golf Resort & Spa
Technically just off of the Hotel Zone peninsula, this Cancun dream come true had to be on our list. The family-friendly getaway comes with Unlimited-Luxury® and features like:
- Limitless access to gourmet a la carte dining options without reservations required
- Unlimited international and domestic top-shelf spirits
- 24-hour room and concierge services
- Explorer’s Club for Kids
- Traditional Temazcal ceremonies for a spiritual experience to tap into your mind, body, and soul, led by an Intercessor
- Pool and beach wait service
- Theme parties, oceanfront bars, and entertainment venues – for a limited time, Rock of Ages is all the rage here!
- Access to Playa Mujeres Golf Course, Dolphin Habitat, and Dreams Spa by Pevonia®
Recommended: Top 5 Cancun Beaches
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
Back on the Hotel Zone Strip – this all-inclusive adults-only resort provides a truly classic Cancun vacation – filled with calm days, quiet nights, and an immersion into the paradise that surrounds it all.
- All oceanfront accommodations
- 24-hour in-suite dining with chef’s specialties
- Cancun’s only oceanfront spa with a traditional Temazcal stone sauna
- State-of-the-art Sky Gym
- Atrium for unique entertainment experiences and nightly entertainment
- Minutes from golf, shopping, and local nightlife
- 6 restaurants, 3 bars, coffee house
The Grand at Moon Palace
You want the moon!? You can have it in Cancun. Here’s what’s good at all-inclusive The Grand:
- The Ninth Pin Bowling & Bar – yes, a bowling alley
- Awe Spa
- 24-hour room service
- World class performances that have included Grammy Award-winning artists
- Restaurants ranging from Italian to Lebanese
- Top-shelf drinks
It’s easy to take for granted things that already exist – like, I don’t know, Cancun’s Hotel Zone? Just like anything else as splendid and vibrant as this, it’s almost a miracle it happened. We can all rejoice.
Get in the zone – contact a travel agent today to start planning your Cancun getaway with GOGO Vacations.